Sunday, October 4, 2009

Menu Plan Monday (10/4/09)



Okay before I get to the menu, I'm hoping to get some ideas from you all. My parents will be visiting next week and my dad is on a low cholesterol, low saturated fat diet since he had a heart attack a while back. So, I need some ideas for healthy meals to make while they are here. So far I have thought of pot roast, chicken & brown rice soup, and maybe beef stew or a roast chicken. I'm not a huge fish person so that's not really a good option - I'm hoping to stick with items I already have on hand, which would include some lean cuts of beef, whole chicken, and chicken breast. For breakfasts so far I'm thinking of egg substitute, whole grain toast, and maybe these Applesauce Oatmeal Pancakes. If you have any ideas or recipes for low cholesterol meals (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) I would be grateful if you shared them. Thanks!

Last week I tried several new recipes (menu with links is here), so I thought I'd give a quick verdict on each:
  • Spicy Honey Glazed Pork Chops - not spicy at all, but really yummy anyway. They were easy to prepare, and I just threw them in the oven with some baked potatoes for an easy and tasty meal. Ninja Hubz loved them.
  • Asian Chicken and Noodles - pretty good. I thought they were a lot better after adding a bit of soy sauce.
  • Chicken (Crock)Pot Pie - an experiment I tried. Came out quite good! I will post the recipe when I get a chance, probably tomorrow.
And at last, this week's menu! A couple repeats that we didn't get to last week. Ninja Hubz volunteered to make home made macaroni and cheese on our usual "fend for yourself" night, and the pasta bake casserole  lasted for several nights of leftovers, so we just didn't get to some of our planned meals.
  • Sunday: Roast beef, noodle stuff, mixed veggies
  • Monday: Beef fried rice with veggies
  • Tuesday: Crockpot vegetable beef soup
  • Wednesday: Leftovers/Fend for yourself
  • Thursday: Italian breaded chicken, noodle stuff
  • Friday: Homemade Pizza
  • Saturday: Carnitas
Check out what everyone else is eating over at Menu Plan Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment