Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Crockpot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Don't look now, but there's only a few weeks left until Thanksgiving! This recipe is one of my favorite ways to used leftover turkey - it is a nice change of pace from the usual turkey sandwiches and pot pies, and is loaded with veggies to help you recover from too much pie :) My version is based on this recipe from the Year of Slow Cooking site, I just make a few little tweaks. I like to use Uncle Ben's wild rice for this, I think the extra seasoning adds a lot of good flavor, but usually I just use whatever is on hand (or is on sale).

Crockpot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
  • 8 - 10 cups turkey broth (substitute chicken broth if you don't have turkey)
  • 1 box of Uncle Ben's wild rice, prepared as directed on package
  • ~2 cups cooked turkey (I usually use dark meat)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped carrot
  • 2 tsp sage
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups spinach leaves
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Put everything in your crock pot. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours.

Experience more crockpot joy over at Dining with Debbie's Crockpot Wednesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment