Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ground Beef Freezer Fest

I'm pretty darn happy when I find ground beef for anything less than $1.99/lb. I'm completely ecstatic when I find it for $1.49/lb! Needless to say, I jumped on that deal and stocked up - 12 lbs!

And happily enough, the weather's cooled down a lot, so I was able to spend the day cooking and preparing a bunch of the meat. Now I have some quick and easy freezer meals ready to go! Here's what I made:

3 meat loaves (1lb each)
6 pizza hoagies (1lb total)
5 meals worth of spaghetti sauce (1lb total)

The hoagies used up some sandwich rolls I've had hiding in the back of the fridge, and I was able to incorporate a bunch of my garden tomatoes in the spaghetti sauce.

I figured since I was going to be hanging around the kitchen all day anyway, I would go ahead and simmer up a batch of chicken stock. That used up a bag of chicken bones and half a bag of old veggie bits that have all been hogging precious freezer space. The stock's in the fridge cooling, I expect I'll get 10-12 cups out of it.

One more pound of ground beef will be for cheeseburgers for dinner tomorrow night (I've got some burger buns that need to get eaten before they petrify).

It feels really good to have gotten such a good price on the meat, have some easy meals stashed in the freezer, and to have used up a bunch of stuff that needed to get used :)

Tomorrow I will decide what to do with the remaing 6 lbs of ground beef - I'm thinking of cooking up 3 lbs worth of taco meat and 3 lbs with onion and garlic to have on hand for quick starts for meals. Or maybe I'll just be lazy and freeze it in 1 lb bags to deal with meal by meal. If you have any suggestions please leave a comment! Thanks :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment