- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (this is my addition, not part of the original recipe... but who doesn't want more garlic in their life? mmm)
- 1 can (15 oz) pizza sauce (I usually use about 1/2 a jar of spaghetti sauce like Ragu)
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives (I omit these)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns or french rolls (I usually use 6 french rolls, I don't even know where to find 8 packs)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (another addition)
In a skillet, cook beef and onion (and garlic) over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, olives, basil and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Cut 1/4 inch off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4 inch shell (discard removed bread or use for something else). Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese inside each shell. Fill each with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (and parmesan, if using), gently pressing down to flatten. Replace bread tops.
To cook immediately: Place sandwiches on baking sheet, bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
To freeze: Wrap sandwich in foil and freeze. To prepare frozen sandwich, place foil-wrapped sandwich on baking sheet, bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until heated through.
Check out more great recipes at The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap